Recipe for Good Bread
- 1lb 2oz flour (50% Strong White Bread Flour, 50% Gilchesters’ Organic Stoneground 100% Wheat Strong Flour).
- 1.5oz butter.
- 1 tsp salt.
- 1 tsp sugar.
- 1.5tbsp dried active yeast.
- warm water (50% boiling, 50% cold – should be warm but not hot when you hold fingers in).
- 1tbsp olive oil.
- Dissolve sugar into warm water.
- Add yeast to sugar solution and mix well. Leave to ‘activate’ for 15 mins or until surface is covered with froth.
- Add butter, flour and salt to bowl, rub in butter and mix in salt.
- Gradually add yeast water into the flour and mix.
- Make up more warm water and gradually (about 1tbsp at a time) add and mix into flour (ensuring the sides are cleaned of flour in the process) until dough reaches the right consistency.
- Spread oil on work surface.
- Use quarter turns and gently knead the dough until it’s covered with oil.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl (which mixing should have cleaned) and cover with damp teatowel.
- Leave in a warm place to rise to 1.5-2x it’s size (30mins-1hour).
- Punch down dough and shape into a sausage.
- Place dough into 2lb loaf tin, recover with damp teatowel and prove until rerisen (30mins-1hour). Preheat oven to 200 degrees (not fan assisted).
- Once rerisen, remove tea towel and cut across the top of the dough (not deeply) and place into centre of oven. Add a tray of water to the bottom of the oven to stop the loaf from drying out. Bake for approximately 30mins or until top is golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave on wire rack to cool (stops bottom from going soggy).